Some Random Observations...


  • We hate sitting next to Americans at restaurants.  We can understand everything they're saying.  And worse?  They can understand everything we're saying.  Should we talk to them?  Do we ignore the fact that we're both speaking English?  More often than not, they initiate conversation.  Please, we just want to eat in private with our own "secret" language.


  • The other day we walked out of our house towards our car.  Except that we didn't know where to find our car.  Living in the very center of town, we have a parking pass that allows us to park in any number of places at a discounted rate; however, it had been over 5 days since we'd last driven our car, and neither Jordan nor I could remember where we'd last parked it.  As we continued walking in the general direction of where we most often park our car, we simultaneously remembered where we'd last seen it.  And we laughed.  This never happened to us in the United States!

  • For more than a year of living in France, I missed the well marked sticks of butter from the United States.  Then, one day, I realized that the butter was marked here, too!  I don't know if I was just blind before, or if the packaging changed, but this makes baking much easier as I convert cups to grams and estimate quantities.


  • "Franglais" is our preferred and best language.  Though we always speak English between us, we often phrase things in a more French way or throw in French words with the English pronunciation.  For example, you may hear us say, "You have reason," instead of, "That makes sense."  We often "traverse" the street rather than cross it, and we call organic stores and products "bio" because that's what the word is in French (though the French pronounce it "bee-o" and, when speaking English, we pronounce it as Americans).


  • The other day a man sat in the post office speaking on his cell phone.  I couldn't figure out why it was so annoying to me until I realized that no one speaks on their cell phones in public here.  Oh sure, people walk down the street on their phones, but you don't see people having full conversations on their phones in public places like the post office or grocery store or on the train. 

Comments